Teenage #driver charged over #crash south of #Perth that #killed two #boys


THE 19-year-old driver of a car that crashed in Secret Harbour and killed two teenagers has been charged with dangerous driving.

The teenager will face court later this month, charged over the horror crash that claimed the lives of teenage friends Mason Hooton and Callum Mummery.

The crash, on October 6, killed two Comet Bay students after a silver Toyota Supra smashed into a tree on Secret Harbour Boulevard.

A third passenger, 16-year-old Shaun Sparrow, was seriously injured in the crash.

The 19-year-old driver Joel Payne has been charged with two counts of dangerous driving causing death and one charge of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm.

Hundreds of mourners gathered three weeks ago to farewell Mason Hooton, with his father Mick leading emotional tributes to his son.

“He had a gentle soul and he genuinely cared about the people close to him,” he said.

“We’ve been overwhelmed by the love shown for the lad and he would definitely be a little bit embarrassed by his rock-star status. Enjoy your times with the stars my boy. I love you mate.”

Callum Mummery’s parents Sue and Neil said in a statement that they hoped the heartbreaking loss of their son would serve as a reminder of the danger that was ever-present on roads.

They said his passion had been working on his old ute, which he dreamt of taking camping for his 17th birthday.

“We just wish that this hadn’t happened and hope that this tragedy can prevent other young individuals making the same mistake,” they said.

“Callum loved life and took every opportunity to live it to the full.

“Whether this was by simply kicking a ball with a six-year-old or fishing with close friends and family.”

Shaun Sparrow’s parents issued a statement in the days after the crash, promising their son would continue to fight.

The three boys, plus Mr Payne, were all past or present students of Comet Bay College.

First responders to the scene of the crash described a horrific sight.

Richard Howell was one of the first people at the crash.

“I opened the car to a pretty tragic scene,” Mr Howell told 7 News Perth.

“Half a car…it was a mess.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

+ 43 = 45